ARE YOU SURE YOU KNOW CHEWING?
Unilateral chewing is a problem that affects so many people and at any age that you should stop to think the next time you eat if you are chewing more or better on one side than on the other. If so, surely this is already causing problems that you do not know or will cause them in the short, medium or long term.
In the same way to walk we use both legs alternately, to chew we must first use one side and then the other. This is alternating bilateral chewing
The most common causes of unilateral chewing are the loss of some molar by extraction or destruction, crowded teeth, breathing through the mouth while chewing, wrong treatments, trauma or even orthodontics …
As well as a good part of the human body, the mouth area is also composed of muscles, bones and ligaments. If one side is stimulated we will have as a result a more developed side than the other, bringing consequences such as:
- asymmetry of the mouth and changes in the development of the face
- malocclusions such as crossbite, jaw too small or too large
- appearance of double occlusion and dental wear
- problems in the functioning of the temporomandibular joints: ATM noises and pains due to improper jaw drive
- functional pain such as: migraines and tension headaches, dizziness and dizziness, CAT, contractures in the neck muscles
- alterations of the body posture: shifts of the shoulders, the spine, the pelvis until affecting the general posture and the compression of some organs by compensation.
If you have noticed that you chew more or better on one side, do not hesitate to make an appointment at Salut Dental Barcelona by clicking here.